We’re excited to announce the 2nd Annual MIC Image Contest! Last year’s contest entries were amazing, and we’re looking forward to many more beautiful images this year.
Below are the rules, prizes, etc. for the contest. Any questions should be sent to Jen Lee. Good luck!
2016 MIC Image Contest – Sponsored by Zeiss Microscopy
- Image(s) must have been acquired on a MIC instrument. It does not have to be acquired on a Zeiss instrument.
- The following information must be submitted with each image through the Image Contest Google Form:
- Lab affiliation
- University status
- MIC Instrument used to acquire image
- Relevant acquisition settings
- A one-sentence description, including organism, system, and/or process.
- Scientific or technical significance, if applicable
- Each person may submit up to 3 images. However, a separate Entry Form must be completed for each image. More than one image may be selected for the calendar, but only one prize will be awarded per person.
- Image file settings: (Please contact Jen Lee if you have any questions.)
- Grayscale and CMYK (preferred), RGB (acceptable)
- Pixel resolution: 300 dpi
- Final calendar format: 11 inches (width) x 7 inches (height). Tip: if possible, don’t crop your image too tightly, as the image may be trimmed during production.
- Preferred formats: pdf, ai, psd. Also acceptable: high-resolution tiff, jpg.
- Please name file(s) with identifying information (e.g., first and last name)
- Images should be submitted via email to email@example.com.
- Judging criteria:
- Visual impact
- Technical expertise
- Scientific and/or technical significance
- Judging panel: This year, we are excited to have a very esteemed, diverse group of judges representing the Cancer Research Labs, CIRM/QB3, Zeiss Microscopy, Science @ Cal, Cell Press, and the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology.
- Submission deadline: Friday, November 4, 2016, 11:59 p.m.
- Grand prize: $200 Amazon gift card, a framed photo of the winning entry, and a 2017 MIC Calendar
- 2nd prize: $100 Amazon gift card, a framed photo of the winning entry, and a 2017 MIC Calendar
- 3rd prize: $50 Amazon gift card, a framed photo of the winning entry, and a 2017 MIC Calendar
- Honorable mentions (10 total): 2017 MIC Calendar
- Finalists will be notified by December 1, 2015. Winning images will be announced at the Open MIC Holiday Party on December 15, 2016.
- By entering your image(s) into the contest, you are giving permission to Zeiss and the MIC to use your image(s), with proper attribution. Only those who fill out the Zeiss release form will be eligible for prizes and inclusion in the calendar.